MLA 2019 will be held September 19-20 at Mystic Lake Center in Prior Lake, part of Scott County. Scott County is one of the fastest-growing counties in Minnesota. Located in the southwest corner of the Twin Cities, it is a healthy mix of suburban and rural communities, including the cities of Prior Lake, Shakopee, Savage, Jordan, Belle Plaine, New Prague, and Elko-New Market. We hope you can take some time either before or after the conference to explore all that Scott County has to offer!
2020 Annual Conference
Duluth Entertainment Convention Center
Scott County Library’s Learning & Outreach librarians recently took a field trip to the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s brand new cultural center, Hoċokata Ti [ho-cho-kah-tah-tee]. The center is just a quick 5-minute drive from the conference and their public exhibit, Mdewakanton: Dwellers of the Spirit Lake, is small enough to see in an hour and provides fascinating context for visitors to the area.
Address: 2300 Tiwahe Circle, Shakopee
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 9am-5pm
Thinking about coming to Scott County before the conference begins?
- We Will Rock You: The Musical by Queen and Ben Elton at Mystic Showroom.
- “Following the Oscar-winning biopic “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the music of Queen is more popular than ever. Living up to Queen’s larger-than-life reputation, We Will Rock You: The Musical by Queen and Ben Elton brings a quirky and uncanny story that’s as eccentric as the band. With 24 of Queen’s biggest hits, new and reemerged fans will get a thrill out of songs like “We Are the Champions,” “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “We Will Rock You” and more during this unique and wild performance.” .
- Don’t miss this rocking show Thursday, September 12 thru Saturday, September 14th.
Looking for something to do after the conference ends? Check out these places in Scott County!
- Minnesota’s Largest Candy Store is located in Jordan, Minnesota, right on Highway 169. This large yellow barn features more than just a vast array of candy – life-sized superheroes, a British phone booth, a fortune telling machine and an animatronic band are waiting for you to visit them! Please note they only accept cash, but they do have an ATM on site. (20430 Johnson Memorial Dr, Jordan)
- If you’re into unusual Roadside America attractions, visit Minnesota’s only 2-story, 5-hole outhouse in Belle Plaine! Part of the Hooper-Bowler-Hillstrom House, this privy is truly an architectural wonder. (405 N Chestnut St, Belle Plaine)
- Valleyfair is the Twin Cities premiere amusement park. Located in nearby Shakopee, this park features over 75 rides and attractions, including 8 roller coasters. (1 Valley Fair Dr, Shakopee)
- The Renaissance Festival, located in Shakopee, will be celebrating its 49th season this fall. The special theme for the weekend after MLA is Shamrocks & Shenanigans, so wear some green and be prepared for fun! (12364 Chestnut Blvd., Shakopee)
- Minnesota in the Fall just can’t be beat! Scott County has numerous apple orchards, parks, hiking trails, golf courses and more just waiting to be discovered.
Prior Lake and the rest of Scott County has a wide variety of food options for all tastes and needs.
- The Mystic Lake facility has 8 different eating options, from upscale to casual. Mystic Steakhouse is a upscale steak and seafood restaurant. The Buffet is your traditional casino buffet. Minnehaha Cafe has classic, All-American favorites. Gambler’s Grill has classic, grilled favorites. Fusion Noodle Bar allows you to experience Asian fusion right in Prior Lake, MN. Mystic Deli has classic sandwiches and soups. The Meadows Bar and Grille overlooks the golf course. And for those dessert, try Sweet Temptations for baked goods and ice cream.
- PLate opened in November 2018, and it’s quickly becoming a favorite for everyone in Prior Lake. Focusing on seafood, steak and other American classics, this is a good option if you find yourself hungry in downtown Prior Lake. (16323 Main Ave SE, Prior Lake)
- Perron’s Sul Lago is an upscale but tasty treat in the heart of downtown Prior Lake. Focusing on Italian classics with a twist, they don’t disappoint. The seafood risotto comes recommend from many on the Scott County Library staff! (16154 Main Ave SE, Prior Lake)
- Charley’s on Prior is a lakefront eatery that has amazing views and a patio that can’t be beat! Full bar and great food makes this a great option for some post-conference wrap up with your colleagues. (3950 Green Heights Trail SW, Prior Lake)
- Teresa’s Mexican Restaurant is unassuming in a strip mall, but the food and margaritas make it worth the drive. Classic Mexican fares at great prices. (6880 Boudin St NE, Prior Lake)
- Fong’s Restaurant & Bar offers great Asian food at reasonable prices. Perfect for lunches or dinners, so be sure to check it out while you’re in town. (4770 Pleasant St SE, Prior Lake)